It’s been awhile since I did a recipe post! It’s not surprising though, because as a pregnant woman, I often crave things. The other day, I was craving rice krispy treats, but not just any treats – homemade, nutty, salted brown butter krispies. Luckily I stumbled upon this recipe and it seriously took the same amount of time. The brown butter added a luxurious depth of flavor, and I don’t think I’ll ever make rice krispy treat the same way again!
Usually, I’m a chocolate girl, but I wanted something a little lighter. I know these hardly seem “light” seeing as how they require a stick of butter, but alas, they were delicious and hit the spot for this typical chocoholic.
What you’ll need:
1 stick of butter
10 oz. bag of marshmallows
5.5-6 cups of rice krispies
.25 tsp of salt
Maybe you’re thinking, why does this recipe need salt? how much difference could brown butter make? I promise you, you won’t be disappointed. The salt isn’t salty so much as it highlights the darker nutty flavor of the brown butter.
1. First, on medium heat, melt your butter in a big sauce pan. Stir frequently until the butter starts to bubble, then turn golden-clear. Be sure to scrape butter from off of the bottom of the pan. Watch vigilantly for the butter to turn from gold to brown. Remove from heat immediately after butter has turned brown, because there is a short amount of time between butter browning and butter burning.
2. Add your bag of marshmallows. You shouldn’t need to turn the heat back on, the hot brown butter should melt the marshmallow. Stir until most of the lumps are gone.
3. Add 4 cups of krispies and stir into the marshmallow mixture.
4. Sprinkle all of your salt over the krispy mixture.
5. Add the 2 remaining cups of krispies to the saucepan and mix until fully incorporated.
6. pour and press into an 8×11 pan [I spray mine with coconut oil before hand, but you can rub butter on the sides to prevent it from sticking.